Saturday, August 14, 2010

Life is always interesting

It has been a while, but here is this week's update.

On June 5th, we had family pictures taken.  We missed having Lee, Joee, Bo, BrynLee in the pictures, but will add them as soon as we can.  We will need to have family pictures taken again once Holly and Rick add their baby in October.  Maybe in December we can get everyone together for a quick picture.

This week was our Ward "Slip 'n Slide" Luau at Peteetneet School in Payson.  It has a hill that they cover with really heavy plastic/vinyl that is about 5 feet wide and 12 feet long.  There are anywhere from 4 to 5 lengths that make the slide.  At the top is a PVC pipe that has been perforated and hooked to a hose to make the sprinkler at the top.  It is a lot of fun.  Well, the event was a big hit especially with the teenagers.  The only injury the whole evening was me. The wind was blowing and so in order for the kids to slide, adults were sitting on the plastic where each length was overlapped to keep the plastic down.  Two young men headed down at the same time (one just ahead of the other).  The first young man came close to my edge, but was able to stay off the edge.  However, the second young man was spinning and out of control and went diagonally across the plastic and plowed right through me. I was hit really, really hard in the rib area and had the wind knocked out of me.  I didn't feel too bad until I went to lift a piece of plastic and realized that my ribs really hurt.  I went home that night and iced them.  I hurt bad enough that I didn't get much sleep.  After work the next day I was swollen and really hurting so I again iced everything and laid down until I had to go to a Roundtable for Eagle Project Approvals. I took Ibuprofen and went to bed and slept better.  Friday I went to the Temple with my friends, but by the time we left the temple my side was so swollen you could feel the swelling.  I was also having trouble breathing.  So, I called and got an appointment to see the Doctor to see if I had broken ribs.  I knew that if I was in pain that could account for the shallow breathing, but wanted to make sure it wasn't more serious.  The x-rays showed no breaks, but that they were all bruised.  He told me it could take up to 10 days before the bruising comes out and that in order for it to heal I needed to stay down (lying down) as much as possible for the next week.  Today I have found that as long as I recline or lay down there is no pain and the swelling is minimal.  If I get up and move then I'm sore and the pain and swelling increases.  So, I've done as little as possible.  It's driving me crazy.  A couple of more days though and I should be on my way to being healed.  Good news from all of this - my bones are still strong for my age - no osteoporosis!!!

Test drove a 2000 Dodge Caravan (11K miles asking $3995) today along with a 2004 Buick Rainer (85K miles asking $10,995).  Didn't buy anything.  Now we'll see what happens next.  Still looking!

    

No comments: